Welcome to the Norris School District!
Kindergarten Readiness Skills
These resources have been selected to guide parents as they work with their children at home.
- Demonstrate basic fine motor skills-The goal is for your child to hold a pencil correctly and use scissors appropriately. It is important to build the muscles in your little one’s hands first. These activities will help with that.
- Recognize and Write name-Capital only at the beginning
- Name writing with The Virtual Therapist https://youtu.be/Mj-DqfEnYzw
- Free Name Tracing printable powerfulmothering.com/free-personalized-my-name-tracing-printable/
- Know letter names-lowercase and capital
- Number sense: Count to 20, name numbers to 5 count objects to 5
- Recognize basic shapes-circle, square, triangle, rectangle
- Extend a pattern 2 steps (what comes next in the pattern?)
- Concepts of Print-find the front of a book, point to where you should read first, understand that print holds meaning, predict what a book will be about
- Draw a self portrait with 9 or more parts
- Self-help practices-zip jackets, buttoning pants, tying shoes, using the restroom on your own, open lunch items.
This resource may provide information and guidance in preparing your child for school:
Readiness Presentation 2021-22
*Please click on each slide to play. If you "play slide show" it does not allow for enough time for presentation. Thank You!